High Voltage





















     This week's reading invited us to consider the meaning and significance of the "genre" of street photography. It is often a genre that evokes, even necessitates, a human presence. Practitioners of the art may look for "... ironic juxtaposition and extreme behavior...", "... crystallized social relations...", or other ways to express something about society. Some, however, turn to architecture in their portrayal of the "street". 
   I too have taken liberties in my interpretation of the genre. Since densely populated places are a no go in our present situation, I knew I would have to bend the definition a bit. I walked the street, and much like my project last week, I searched for meaning in the chaos. During my several outings, I became fixated on power lines. Their ubiquity in human spaces makes them practically invisible to our everyday gaze. I found it interesting how they signified human expansion and growth, and when observed closely they take on a life of their own. Coming and going, pushing and pulling, diverging, converging, criss-crossing. I wanted to really explore the latitude of emotion this simple, yet ever-present memento of human existence could portray. 
     














Comments

Popular Posts